The federal tax deadline has been postponed to July 15th, 2020 and several states have begun pushing back tax deadlines. VITA sites have been forced to close out of caution for their volunteers, coordinators, and clients. Our field partners have published and will be updating resource pages on filing and alternative tax preparation assistance options:
- Taxpayer Opportunity Network: Alternative Tax Prep Options. Prosperity Now’s Taxpayer Opportunity Network (TON) has created a living resource guide, including promotional messages, to help the community tax preparation field stay updated on the resources for VITA needs in the virtual space.
- CBPP, Get it Back Campaign: COVID-19 Tax Resources. CBPP’s Get it Back Campaign has produced a resource page that includes deadline updates, tax extension instructions, and links to virtual filing resources.
- Tax Help Colorado: What Does the IRS Tax Deadline Extension Mean for You? The Piton Foundation’s Tax Help Colorado provides explanations and instructions on the tax filing period and filing for extensions.
- IRS: Coronavirus Tax Relief. The IRS has established a special section focused on steps to help taxpayers, businesses and others affected by the coronavirus. This page will be updated as new information is available.
- IRS: Economic Impact Payments, What You Need to Know.The Treasury Department and the Internal Revenue Service announced that distribution of economic impact payments will begin in the next three weeks and will be distributed automatically, with no action required for most people. However, some seniors and others who typically do not file returns will need to submit a tax return to receive the stimulus payment.
Do you have resources to share? Please contact us.