The EITC Funders Network and GCIR co-hosted a webinar on immigrant families’ eligibility for tax credits, proposals to limit eligibility, and what role funders can play in protecting immigrant families’ access.
The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and the Child Tax Credit (CTC) are widely recognized as critical income supports for millions of low-income families. Despite paying taxes, many otherwise eligible immigrant families are denied participation in the EITC. Over the past few years, there have been repeated congressional efforts to also deny these families eligibility for the CTC and its refundable component, the Additional ChildTax Credit (ACTC). In the context of the upcoming tax extension deliberations, proposals limiting access are likely to surface again.
- Patrick Hain, Annie E. Casey Foundation
- Wendy Cervantes, First Focus
- Ellen Sittenfeld Battistelli, National Immigration Law Center
Materials from the webinar:
Immigrant Tax Credit Eligibility Webinar (PowerPoint in PDF)
Related Fact Sheets:
- CTC Eligibility Fact Sheet (NILC)
- ITIN Fact Sheet (NILC)
- DAPA-DACA Access to Federal Health and Economic Supports (NILC)